We love ginger cake, I have tried lots of recipes but this one is the best yet, it uses 3 types of ginger and has a wonderful, full flavour. Here is the recipe if you would like to try, and feel free to let me know how you got on with it and any changes you make.
225g Self Raising Flour
2tsp ground ginger powder
1tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
1 half teaspoon cinnamon
1 half teaspoon Allspice
100g soft brown sugar (I used light, but if you prefer a stronger molasses flavour, use dark)
50g Black Treacle or Molasses
50g honey or Golden Syrup
50g ginger syrup (from the jar of stem ginger)
50g crystallised ginger, finely chopped
50g stem ginger, finely chopped
50ml low fat yoghurt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Sift the flour, Bicarbonate of Soda and spices into a large bowl and set to one side. Preheat your oven to 180c.
2. Put the sugar, butter, Treacle, syrups and chopped gingers into a pan and melt over a low heat until the sugar has melted. Take off the heat and allow to cool slightly.
3. In the meantime prepare a 2lb loaf tin by greasing and lining with baking paper or use a silicone loaf tin , then you don’t have to mess around with all that cutting and greasing!
4. Lightly whisk together the egg, milk and yoghurt in a separate jug.
5. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture, then mix in the cooled syrup mix from the pan (it doesn’t have to be cold). When that is well incorporated, mix in the milk mixture until well combined. That completes the batter.
6. Pour the batter into the loaf tin and put in the oven for 50-60 minutes. Check if it’s done by sticking a skewer into the cake, if it comes out clean it is done and can be cooled on a rack.
7. You can put this into a plastic container when cooled to be allowed to develop it’s flavour for a day or two, but our’s never make it that long!
- Fresh Fig Mocha Layer Cake
- Latte di Curcuma – La bevanda per il salute!